click analytics

New FD Mount Issues

This forum will be used to share information with Brevis35 users related to setup, tips and tricks etc.

New FD Mount Issues

New postby Michael Panfeld on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:55 am

Dennis: Thanks for shipping the new FD mount out so fast. I appreciate the customer service. The new "tube" design is great because it registers against the collimation ring.

However, the new mount still has the same issue with the bayonet mount Canon FD lenses. There is slippage. I hold the lens in one hand and the mount in the other and rather than getting a solid connection, I can still move the mount (both by rotating the mount clockwise or counterclockwise and by pushing the mount sideways in a direction across the lens). There is a metal meeting metal clicking sound. I am not using a lot of force, just my fingertips. In fact, if I just rack focus quickly enough, I get the movement and the clicking sound. There is no movement when I try to pull the lens and mount apart (i.e., opposite directions) or push them together. The breech mount lenses are rock solid. Frustrated as all get out. Should there be play in the connection?
Michael Panfeld

New postby Jon Wolding on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:16 pm

Could it be that there were significant variations in FD mount lenses?

Have you tried this lens on other FD mount receivers?
Jon Wolding

New postby Michael Panfeld on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:02 am

Jon:

I have tried it on the new and old Brevis FD mounts only. I do not own a 35mm camera. I guess anything is possible, but I doubt that Canon would make a different version because it would obsolete its prior lens/body combinations. It would have created a new line instead.

Because I can push the mount across the plane of th lens (albiet I am talking like 1/2 mm here) it means that the circumference of the mount needs to be slightly larger. Perhaps a few thousanths of an inch. Because I can rotate it (maybe 1 mm or a little less) it means that the valleys/gaps/protrustions on the mount are too deep, wide, or low, respectively. Then again, maybe I am a perfectionist and the bayonet mounts were suppoosed to have slop. The breech mounts lenses are rock solid when you tighten them down. That's my only point of comparison.
Michael Panfeld

New postby Dennis Wood on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:01 am

Michael, we have a good collection of FD lenses here ranging from 28 to 135mm, including a few third-party zooms. They all lock on perfectly (and the breech should lock it down tight!)

Are there any signs of wear on your FD breech? If you have access to a high quality micrometer, measure both the flange thickness and maximum O.D. on your FD mount so we can check it against the master.
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby Michael Panfeld on Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:04 am

Dennis, I have no issue with the breech mounts. Its the bayonet mounts that are loose.

I have a good quality set of calipers (sold my micrometer a few years ago). I'll measure that this weekend.

thanks
Michael Panfeld

New postby Michael Panfeld on Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:31 pm

Dennis: I measured the FD mounts inside diameter at 1.895 inches, the outside diameter as 2.005 inches and the thickness at .055.
Michael Panfeld

New postby Dennis Wood on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:12 pm

The FD mounts all use Breech locks...and the EOS use bayonet. Am I confusing EOS with FD here?

There are only two types of FD lenses. One has a rotating breech lock ring, and the other has the same breech lock, but the whole lens turns.
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby Michael Panfeld on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:12 am

OK, lets put semantics aside. The lenses that work great are the silver ringed breech lock (where just the ring turns). The lenses with the loose connection are the FD lenses with a button (i.e., the newer FD lenses).
Michael Panfeld

New postby Dennis Wood on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:48 am

Got it. Let me check a few of the mounts here at random (we have a dozen or so FD lenses) to see if I can reproduce this issue.

We finally got body caps for the FD lenses made, so if anyone is ordering anything, add a comment to the order notes so we can throw one in for free. In a few weeks we'll have body caps for every mount...to add to the Nikon, EOS, and FD that we're currently having manufactured. Same thing with the 72mm rear caps. We are having these made custom for us and if need one, same deal applies.
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby Dennis Wood on Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:26 pm

Ok, checked out seven FD lenses here, 5 Canon, and 2 third party. All locked securely with no play. 3 are the new FD, 4 are old.

One thing that I did find after purchasing a used 135mm f3.5 was that the entire rear breach was loose. There are four tiny Philips head screws accessed through the back of the mount. I had to rotate the breach lock ring to access them all..and every one of them was loose. Can you confirm that these screws are tight?
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby ChRiS Gomersall on Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:13 pm

Hello Everyone-

I am having the exact same issue from above with my new Brevis/ Nikon lens mount.

None of my lenses fit tightly on the adapter. I can wiggle and rotate them all. They're on there, but not tightly. Lots of play.

I feel like if I tilt my camera down, the whole lens will fall off!

I've tried the rotation all the way around, and the pin is lined up properly.

It feels like the lens mount grooves are too deep for the actual lens threads.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ChRiS
Sony v1u
Brevis Revision 2
CF1Le
Rails and adjustable rail mount

Nikon:
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Nikkor 105mm f/2.5
Vivitar 85-205mm f/3.8
ChRiS Gomersall

New postby Jon Wolding on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:17 am

This is the first problem I've heard of with the Nikon mount... both the Nikon and Canon EF mounts have an almost perfect track record.

What specific lenses are you having mount problems with?
Jon Wolding

New postby ChRiS Gomersall on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:29 am

Hi Jon-

Thanks for the reply.

The good news is that I am having the exact same issue with all lenses, so hopefully all will be fixed when one is.

I have the following lenses:

Vivitar 28mm f/2.8
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Nikkor 105mm f/2.5
Vivitar 85-205mm f/3.8

Could it be that the new mount is too new?

The lenses are older Nikon lenses. Perhaps they need an older mount?

Thanks...

ChRiS
Sony v1u
Brevis Revision 2
CF1Le

Nikon:
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Nikkor 105mm f/2.5
Vivitar 85-205mm f/3.8
ChRiS Gomersall

New postby Jon Wolding on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:45 am

Contact Cinevate... it might be a defect.
Jon Wolding

New postby ChRiS Gomersall on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:44 pm

I contacted Cinevate and they shipped me a new Nikon mount. It looks like there was a mix up and the first mount sent was a Canon EOS.

Hubert fixed it pronto and I had my new mount in a day!

Thanks again Cinevate...
Sony v1u
Brevis Revision 2
CF1Le

Nikon:
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Nikkor 105mm f/2.5
Vivitar 85-205mm f/3.8
ChRiS Gomersall

New postby Dennis Wood on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:39 am

Oops...the only good news here is that you've got an EOS mount there just in case you need it!
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby Roel Jovellanos on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:31 am

Okay I just noticed I have this same issue. I was wondering why my image sometimes would shift during focus pulls. It turns out there is play with the new type breeches, the ones with the lock button. My silver ringed fd lenses fit tight.
Roel Jovellanos

New postby M Boerner on Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:06 am

I have the same issue with my new FD mount.
I upgraded recently to microcollimation and to the new FD mount.
My canon silverring lenses or off-brand lenses with locking ring
work fine.
But the new FD lenses have 1mm play when locked. :(
M Boerner

New postby Roel Jovellanos on Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:30 pm

anyone come up with a fix for this? So far I've been applying foam stripping/gasket tape around the edge of the lenses' breech mounts to create a snugger fit, but it's pretty ghetto and I still get a little play.
Roel Jovellanos

New postby Dennis Wood on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:16 pm

Can one of you post up a pic or two of where the issue lies? I've got both old and new lenses here that all check out on the mount so I'm a bit mystified.
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

Next

Return to Cinevate Customer Forum