click analytics

Cinevate Atlas 10 FLT 26" Problem

Questions, comments and photos related to our Pegasus Carbon, Heavy Lifter and Atlas systems can be posted here.

Cinevate Atlas 10 FLT 26" Problem

New postby Daniel De Silva on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi people,

I am new to Cinevate, and was a Kessler Pocket dolly V1 user for 2 years. I rely on solid moves for my work. And I sold the Kessler (IGNUS system) to 'upgrade' to a ball bearing slider that would possibly improve slide moves or at very least make my time easier in operation.

Using this slider does put a smile on my face, as it is solidly built for a compact slider, and the vertical kit was something unique for me also. So I purchased the FLT a few weeks ago after reading a lot of positive reviews.

I noticed an issue a few days after use when I reviewed footage from a wedding I shot with it. Nearly every take there was jerkiness / small noticeable shake. I put it down to new user error. I then went out and shot a heap of test shots at home and various locations. I noticed play in the carriage, and contacted Cinevate for some info about this. Jeremy was extremely helpful, and guided me on how to adjust the bearing, and clean the rails etc. After doing so it felt so good I thought the problem was gone!

I have tightened up my bearings as per video instruction, although this helped significantly, I still cannot get a smooth slow slider move when the camera is panned down (load is biased to one side of the rail block). It's like Its jittery / bumpy, even tho the bearings are clean, and the rails are wiped clean.

Now I will break down my setup:

I do all these tests with the all-terrain legs on a level surface with the slider firmly leveled.
I am using a 5D3 with 24mm lens majority of the time - occasionally a DP4 attached.
I use either a RC4 manfotto ball head or 701 depending on my sliders position (vertical / Horizontal)
Eveything feels rock solid, the bearings appear to have good movement, I can slide it with one finger without load - so its not too tight.
No debris or visible dirt / sand etc on the bearings or rail.

On a wide lens I get smooth shots when the camera lens is parallel to the rails, but even when I throw a 50mm on I can't get a smooth slide.

Now I honestly had at least 20hrs of usage time with the FLT and I am really disappointed such a premium product has let me down. Although I am trying hard to be optimistic.

I want to be able to get slow shots like the speed in my example below - but with the camera panned down 45 Degress or more (so i can shoot wedding rings on a table top etc..)
https://vimeo.com/39320858

I have had great success with the vertical moves! But on the ground has been a struggle! Odd?

I have stripped this slider down 3 times to adjust the bearing, and have closely inspected the device to see where my issue could be if it is at all faulty. I don't know what to do... If anyone has any insight for me I would be more than grateful as I want this to work, I believe in this slider!!

I have contacted Cinevate today (tonight in Canada), updating them - There not operating currently. And its Saturday Morning in Australia currently and I am itching to get this sorted. I would love to try and get some advice from users who may provide some insight.
Daniel De Silva

Re: Cinevate Atlas 10 FLT 26" Problem

New postby Luke Grandmont on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Hey Daniel,

I encourage others to reply as well as this isn't something I've experienced much of on our side. I believe Jeremy has replied directly via email but I want to re-iterate that we'll figure this out even if it means sending over replacement pieces at our cost.

I plan on doing some 'playing' this weekend to see if I encounter any similar issues and find ways to remedy it.

Thanks for your patience Daniel!

~ Luke
Luke Grandmont

New postby Daniel De Silva on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:35 pm

Thanks Luke,

I hoping its a bearing issue, and not anything where I have to ship the whole unit. I have run my fingernail over the rail to feel any thing, and it was smooth. I even changed the rails over, since I have another rail block from the vert kit. So I am convinced the problem lies in the bearings.

I can feel the bearing repeat the same pattern of shake every few centimeters / inch.
Below are the two examples where I have the most issues, the image on the right believe it or not is at least twice as bumpy than the 45 degree bent over position. Im trying to give you the best way to describe the feeling - its very noticeable bumpy feedback that has a repeated pattern as you move the carriage.

Hope to gt this sorted asap.
Daniel De Silva

New postby Peter Wiley on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:19 pm

I am having a similar problem with jerkiness with a new ATLAS 10 35 purchased a few weeks ago. I am having a hard time getting smooth movement horizontal or vertical that I thought was related to the rail cleaning pads. I removed the the pads & holders, and it works better but not as well as I think it should. I think some bearing adjustment is in order before I decide if I too am disappointed, but I don't know how to do that.

If someone could send me instructions for bearing adjustment or point me to the place where such info would be online that would be great.

I also have to say that the thing has been shedding oil constantly and seems over lubricated.

Thanks for any help.
Peter Wiley

New postby Luke Grandmont on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:59 am

Hey Daniel,

Just wanted to check in and see if any of our solutions have worked for you. We just got back from a week of insanity at NAB in Vegas so I'm just worried an email might have slipped through. Let me know on here and/or fire an email to me or Jeremy with an update if needed.
Cheers

Luke
Luke Grandmont

Return to Pegasus/Atlas Linear Tracking Systems