click analytics

World class follow focus unit

New postby jake stutheit on Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:58 pm

no posts for a while on this topic. any progress? anyone? i really need a decent FF for an upcoming shoot.
jake stutheit

New postby Dennis Wood on Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:02 pm

Jake, the FF is definitely going into production but right now, so early in the game, it's impossible to provide a timeline.

I do have a prototype remote focus unit and controller (wired) that we should have here in about 2 weeks.
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby Dan Diaconu on Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:15 pm

C'moon Dennis...
stay positive....
Dan Diaconu

New postby Dennis Wood on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:20 pm

Well, I've got a great cheerleading team!
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby Philip Bloom on Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:07 pm

How will it compare quality and price wise with the Redrock version?
Philip Bloom

New postby Dennis Wood on Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:39 pm

Target pricing is in the $500 range. I've never seen one of the RRM units, however Dan's design reflects many years of experience working and teaching in the film industry. His insight and attention to detail plays out in many subtle nuances that will go unnoticed by 90% of users, as they should. This will not be released until we can guarantee that the quality of the prototype will be maintained in production. When used with the universal focus gears, I can virtually guarantee zero fitment/interference issues.
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby Jarek Zabczynski on Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:52 pm

My concern is "play" meaning there is space within the gearbox of the follow focus which causes a slight lag when turning the knob to the gears actually moving. Any "play" makes a follow focus completely unusable in my opinion. So far all the "cheaper" units have too much "play" for my taste. Indifocus and RRM included. If you can get me a $500 ff with no "play" then I'm sold.
Shoot for the impossible...
...then do it.
Jarek Zabczynski

New postby Jon Wolding on Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:38 pm

Jarek Zabczynski wrote:My concern is "play" meaning there is space within the gearbox of the follow focus which causes a slight lag when turning the knob to the gears actually moving. Any "play" makes a follow focus completely unusable in my opinion. So far all the "cheaper" units have too much "play" for my taste. Indifocus and RRM included. If you can get me a $500 ff with no "play" then I'm sold.

This is why I ended up purchasing a used Arri FF. But Dan's FF looks pretty decent... I don't believe it uses a gear belt (the likely culprit in the cheaper models).
Jon Wolding

New postby steve witt on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:10 pm

this follow focus sounds pretty neat so far. I don't know much about them at all but was wondering if this one will be remote control capable??? :D
steve witt

New postby Dennis Wood on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:30 pm

We're actually working on a remote FF unit in tandem with Dan's design.
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby Jon Wolding on Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:11 pm

Wow, that's cool. I'll probably buy one if it's built solidly.
Jon Wolding

New postby steve witt on Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:23 am

Still a little confused Dennis. Do you mean that you are working on two totally separate FF units and one will be remote and one will not ......or did you mean you are working on a unit to work with the one we see the picture of?

Thanks.
steve witt

New postby Dennis Wood on Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:33 pm

Steve, the wired remote unit will be a standalone. In some respects (like being able to put the controller whereever you like), it will have advantages over the manual one. The biggest is that you will be able to change drive ratios without touching a gear..all done electronlically. The downside is that it will require power..but we're working on that too. I have the prototype drive parts in hand and things are looking very good. The mount, and some gearing work still need to occur. At this point, price is projected in the $600 range.

I also have some news on the FF unit. It will be a few months until we see it in quantity, and it will almost certainly be 100% CNC aluminum parts..no plastic. It will be manufactured to a very high tolerance.
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby vincent scotti on Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:57 am

I know you a knee deep in work at this time, but any news on the FF. I'm really looking forward to this puppy.

Vincent
vincent scotti

New postby Dennis Wood on Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:36 am

I'll have an update for you early next week. At this point, I have given the prototype and drawings etc up to the manufacturer and am awaiting word on the production schedule. We're not rushing this one as expectations are high..ours and yours :-) They will be perfect.

I am so, so missing the prototype.
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby Chad Terpstra on Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:17 pm

Hey, Dennis. Just wondering that now that the MB is out (and looking very solid), do you have an estimated time for the FF? I know you're doing a blitz build this week (for which I'm very pleased as I think my adapter is in that run), but after this wave of orders is processed? Looking forward to it!
Chad Terpstra

New postby Dennis Wood on Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:12 pm

Chad, the ff is being manufactured in a very different process than everything else...so consequently, it's taking a lot more time. Our biggest concern here is having enough capacity to take care of demand..and that's what we're working towards. The timeline for these is quite independent of everything else, and it's critical that we get it right the first time. We're planning to have these stocked before the end of 1st quarter 07.
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby Brian Buschmann on Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:28 pm

def interest in my camp :). quality and meeting order demand sounds like a good plan to me. cheers, brian

Dennis Wood wrote:Chad, the ff is being manufactured in a very different process than everything else...so consequently, it's taking a lot more time. Our biggest concern here is having enough capacity to take care of demand..and that's what we're working towards. The timeline for these is quite independent of everything else, and it's critical that we get it right the first time. We're planning to have these stocked before the end of 1st quarter 07.
Brian Buschmann

New postby steve witt on Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:38 pm

Thats just what I like to hear. Take your time and get it right. From what I have read over the past several months it sounds like all your product so far perform very well and are built with lasting quality. Don't stop now!!!
steve witt

New postby Chad Terpstra on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:04 pm

I was wondering if the FF will be able to work with video lenses such as the HD100 lens? Would this require a different gear? Thanks!
Chad Terpstra

PreviousNext

Return to Cinevate Follow Focus