click analytics

Follow focus somewhat loose

Follow focus somewhat loose

New postby Mike Aaron on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:40 am

I've been having an issue where the follow focus would loosen just enough for it to lose contact with the gear on the lens. Is this a common problem.

I think the solution would be for the unit to tighten around both rails instead of one.
Mike Aaron

Re: Follow focus somewhat loose

New postby Luke Grandmont on Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:13 pm

Hey Mike,

Is it the clamp on the rails that's loose or the gear box? In either case you may need a replacement clamp.
Don't forget, the Durus has a lifetime warranty, so if you haven't already, contact our sales department (sales@cinevate.com) for more trouble shooting and, potentially, repair/replacement instructions.

Cheers

Luke
Luke Grandmont

New postby Mike Aaron on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Seems it loosens on the rails. And sometimes the camera also loosens from it's base. It's very easy to bump something by accident and loosen the whole thing. I wish there was a way to lock everything into place so even a bump won't throw it off. I was trying to use it for a shoot and it loosened so many times, I had to take everything off and focus by hand. Not easy with a DSLR.
Mike Aaron

New postby Mike Aaron on Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:52 pm

I think the problem is also with the way my DSLR is set on the plate. Since it's only held on with one screw, it's easy for it to swivel and lose contact with the follow focus. It would be good if the camera could really lock into place with the plate.
Mike Aaron

New postby Luke Grandmont on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:56 pm

I know what you mean, I hate that DSLRs don't have the slotted hole for the gold pin on tripod plates to stop it from shifting left-to-right, really gotta crank that plate screw in, and even then it can shift.
As much as that is a problem, I'm still surprised with the Durus looseness. If the Durus shifts on the rail then I still think it's the clamp, but if the Durus moves WITH the rail, then the screws on your rails system might need to be tightened some more - I've seen that more often than the former. Hope that helps!
Luke Grandmont

New postby Mike Aaron on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:09 pm

After a few years I've decided to pop back in here for a moment.

I actually never resolved the problem. I've pretty much stopped using my follow focus altogether because it loses contact from the gears on almost every shoot. This happens especially when I'm using the handles. I think the problem is with the follow focus and the handles each connected on their own rods. If they were firmly connected to both rods, they wouldn't twist or disengage upon movement. If one handle gets moved, it could twist the entire rod just far enough for the follow focus to lose contact.

I've tightened the crap out of everything, but nothing really works. It might be time to get out the glue.
Mike Aaron

Return to Cinevate Follow Focus