click analytics

Is my Brevis faulty?

Answers to common questions on the Brevis35

Is my Brevis faulty?

New postby Tom Slesicki on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:11 am

I got back from Sweden yesterday and picked up my Brevis Rev.2 (the MC mount version) with the flip and Cinefuse 1 and a brand new Cinefuse X from Dennis. I've spent some time with the basic setup tutorial and got everything aligned perfectly. I was blown away by the image quality (not that I've shot something - I just watched the footage live from my HV30 on a big screen). I love the aesthetics and look of both imaging elements. In fact, I liked it even before turning the camera on - it looks just awesome. People say that Cinefuse 1 looks not cinematic but I find it not to be true. And I've watched a lots of movies ;)

The problems started when I've decided to charge the unit. I live in Europe, so the charger I got with the Brevis was of no use. I used an other charger that I've used previously to charge other electric things. I plugged it in and went to eat something. When I got back, the unit was so hot I wasn't able to touch it without feeling pain :shock: I've unplugged the unit from the charger and let it cool down a bit. Almost all glass surfaces were covered in fog. The glue (I think it's glue) keeping one of the round glass pieces melted completely so the piece it was holding fell of. I think one of the cables (the black one) attached to the motor got melted too. The imaging element is unharmed. I've cleaned all the glass surfaces that had this strange fog with the lens cloth but I can't put the round thing that fell of on it's place again because the glue isn't sticky anymore...

Please note that I've exchanged the Cinefuse elements after the heat occurred.

Ok, now the questions ^^

1) How do you charge your Brevis? - Question for someone from Europe :roll:
2) Will the unit work without this round piece of glass? It's the one behind the motor and Cinefuse.
3) Is everything OK with my Brevis? I've turned it on some time after this occurred and it vibrates just fine
4) Is it normal?

Thank you in advance,

T.
Tom Slesicki

Re: Is my Brevis faulty?

New postby Nicholas Palinka on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:44 am

Tom,

You've had a power surge happen to your unit during charging. That strange fog is actually smoke from the wires. This is not normal, however we can rectify the situation, give us a shout here at Cinevate and we'll get you back on track. As you probably don't want that to happen again and we don't want it to happen to you again either.

The unit will work with out the back glass, it's there as a dust preventative.

Our Mp.2 upgrade deals with the issue of power surges, there is now a fuse integrated into the unit; in case of unlikely events like power surges.

Nicholas
Nicholas Palinka

New postby Tom Slesicki on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:59 am

Nicholas,

thank you for fast reply. I found an adapter from American socket to European. Do you think it will work with the charger supplied with the Brevis?
Also, a little of topic - how do I get access to the user forum? I'd like to get some info on cleaning the Cinefuse elements but I can't go to the topic specified on the Cinefuse X box :(

Best,

T.
Tom Slesicki

New postby Nicholas Palinka on Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:41 am

give us a call at the office here and we'll be able to set you up.
The cleaning of a cfx is delicate, make sure you do not use a liquid as it can ruin the element. We use compressed air to get dust off of it.

For the CF1,2,3, use a delicate dish soap and luke warm water. make sure you dab a bit of soap onto the two surfaces of the element and move in a circular motion when cleaning. There is a video on this in the video section. Be careful not to force the movements as it will scratch your element surface.

Nick
Nicholas Palinka

New postby Tom Slesicki on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:38 am

Nicholas,

I've managed to charge the Brevis and shot first footage with it :) Everything works great now, all that I needed to do was to change the socket converter ^^

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best,

T.
Tom Slesicki

Return to Frequently Asked Questions