click analytics

Lend your infinite wisdom.

Answers to common questions on the Brevis35

Lend your infinite wisdom.

New postby tswanner on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:30 am

Hello, all.

I am the creative director for a non-profit organization in Houston, Texas and I'm purchasing a nice HD rig for filming creative & promotional shorts in a wide range of environments. I wanted to run my list of goodies by the gurus for feedback.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

_ Canon XH-A1
_ Brevis adapter & flip
_ Planar T* 1.4/50 ZF
_ Proteus rails and adapter mount
_ Follow focus (Cinevate or Redrock Micro? Thoughts?)
_ AT897 or NTG-1 (dead cat and/or blimp?)
_ Manfrotto Tripod System (028B legs / 229 Super Pro Head)
_ Matte Box & filters (Cinevate, Redrock, or more affordable IndiFocus?)
_ Ikan V8000HD Monitor
_ RIFA LITE EX44 (an add-on to our existing Lowell assortment)
_ Large Cinevate Case

Hit me.
tswanner

Re: Lend your infinite wisdom.

New postby michaelgrob on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:12 pm

I have a similar setup, although different camera:

http://cinevate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2754

Your setup does not seem to look bad. I found the follwoing things I would question:

1. Tripod/Head: It looks like the 229 Head is a photo head, made for photo cameras, with whom panning and tilting is quite difficult if not straight impossible. Try the 501 oder better the 503 Head (depending on max weight, I don't have the numbers available). I had the 501, but it became a problem with the weight of the setup.

The tripod has a capacity of 14 pounds. I have a similar setup as your list, and it weights - without the tripod head - about 14 pounds. Maybe you should think about getting a bigger tripod.

2. FollowFocus: I ordered the Cinevate Durus, but it has not yet arrived. According to Dennis, it is the best prive/value option you can get.

3. Lenses: Only one lens at 50? maybe I would buy a few different primes (i. e. Nikon at 28 or 35, 59 and 85) or even some zoom lenses instead only one. But I'm no expert in lenses.

4. Ikan 8000 HD: I have it myself, with mixed feelings. It's OK, but you get what you pay for. Cheap plastiv encasing, but works most of the time. I have sometimes a few problems turning it on at cold temperatures. If you get it, get it with the accessory bundle (case, battery, charger).

5. Mattebox: I have the Cinevate Mattebox and like it. From the pictures on the website, the redrock looks interesting, but I have never used it. Maybe somebody else knows more.

For the other stuff, especially the cam, you have to ask other people.

I hope I could be of any help,

michael
michaelgrob

New postby tswanner on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:44 am

Thanks for your input, Michael. I will most definitely look into a different tripod. Also, your rig is great.
tswanner

New postby michaelgrob on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:27 am

You're welcome. I just bought the VariZoom ZeroGravity head (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... _Head.html), because I plan to use it with a jib and pegasus (it can be mounted upside down). I'll post test results later.

Good luck with your equipment. :D
michaelgrob

Return to Frequently Asked Questions