click analytics

Will Indifocus SPro be compatible with Brevis?

Will Indifocus SPro be compatible with Brevis?

New postby Sean Seah on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:04 am

I stumbled upon this and wonder if this system can be used with the brevis.. actually I do not really understand how the FF works.. just need to know if this will work with brevis 15mm rails without any other hardware..
Imagehttp://www.indifocus.com/products_indifocuspro.htm
Sean Seah

New postby Jon Wolding on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:15 am

It should work.
Jon Wolding

New postby Nils J. Nesse on Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:30 am

... but you should read the DV.com follow focus shootout before buying the Indifocus.
HVX200 w/ Brevis35
Nikon 17-35/2.8 - 80-200/2.8 - 24/2 - 35/2 - 50/1.8 - 85/1.8 - 85/2.8 PC
Zeiss ZF 25/2.8 - 35/2 - 50/2 - 85/1.4 - 100/2 - Voigtlander 58/1.4
Nils J. Nesse

New postby David Jones on Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:57 pm

I think they have gone through the unit with an upgrade.
David Jones

New postby Jason Ramsey on Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:18 pm

I will say that that follow focus that you are picturing in your post is not the indifocus follow focus of old. I have never used either, but I do know that this one is a whole new beast from the old one.

Tim (the owner of indifocus) is a good guy from the little bit that I have talked to him and he recently made some pretty big changes to his company and some of his products. He literally just rolled out this stuff in the last week or two, so not much has been written about it or tested.

that said... Dennis has his Follow focus coming and I'm looking forward to it. From what I have read about it, I think it will make some pretty big waves when it does finally hit the marketplace. Which is sounding like pretty soon, eh, Dennis?
Jason Ramsey

New postby Chow Yan Chi Vinci on Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:52 am

I have the old indiFOCUSgear and I would say it is better than you might think if you have never used a follow focus before, and a must have if it is the only follow focus in your affordable range. Granted it takes more time to setup and has inferior handling, but it costs way less than any competition.
Chow Yan Chi Vinci

New postby Mike Hechanova on Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:37 am

Most people who have the old indifocus that have ordered the new gearbox upgrade have been very happy with the improvements. We still have yet to hear about the performance of the unit, but it does look promising.

That said, the only thing I think that indifocus has over cinevate is that it is available for purchase now. But, that should be changing very soon.
Mike Hechanova

New postby Steve A. on Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:55 am

Just wait Cinevate's FF is coming anytime now. Patience grasshoppah.... :wink:
Steve A.

New postby Mike Aaron on Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:24 pm

If the Cinevate FF doesn't become available soon, I may have to go for something like this.

I'd love to stick with Cinevate on these things, but my projects can't wait too long.
Mike Aaron

New postby maltinghead on Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:16 am

Trusting Dennis won't release the same old sh*t that's already on the market. ie It'll be a bit better than this pre-existing stuff, otherwise no market advantage.

A couple of raves on the forum about the prototype, and it's only delayed because he sent it back for revisions. So hopefully by January it's out along with the Flip module... and my girlfriend won't notice the additional expense when she does my tax! Damn you, Dennis!!! :twisted:
maltinghead

New postby Tom Waugh on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:51 pm

If you are going to get the indifocus....dont get the light up handle haha...it's HUGE!

It is cool though...little orange neon strip around it.... PIMPed my follow focus! haha

Looking forward to the cinevate one...my indifocus experience hasnt been great...
Tom Waugh

New postby David Jones on Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:55 pm

Here is a review of the IndiFOCUS Pro...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=110518
David Jones

New postby Tom Waugh on Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:34 pm

Amen to your review David.
Almost all the stuff that happened to you, happened to me.
I don't think I even got hard stops... what exactly are they?
I was missing 2 sized lens gears... and my gearbox was only held by one screw...the other one had broken in post...

My box came absolutely MANGLED! Half open with everything flying around willy nilly.

Atleast you got a rubber bit around your handle...mine was just the plastic tube..very slippery....

Contact with Tim via email is very hard.....I need to call him...but I'm in Australia.

Dennis! Please! Follow focus...ASAP!!!

Oh, and Flip! ASAP!
haha
Tom
Tom Waugh

New postby Mike Hechanova on Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:54 pm

Maybe I haven't been disappointed with mine because I just got the Pro package. $389 and I am very satisfied with my FF. I used the hard stops on a shoot last week and I thought they worked well, but then again, I don't have the light up handle.

I appreciate your honest review. I agree with the glue. I agree with the loose packaging. Regarding the lens gears set screws, I sent Tim an email about it. He agreed it was a good idea to start shipping the unit with 3 sized set screws to accomodate all 35mm lens diameters.

Even I had a problem receiving my unit. It was actually USPS's fault but Tim made it right by next-day shipping. In fact, he called me today to let me know that he would be next daying my indislider to ensure that it reaches me before my flight day after tomorrow.

Obviously, different experiences going on here. Just thought I'd express a favorable one.

It would have been great to have Cinevate's FF as an option, but I just couldnt wait.
Mike Hechanova

New postby Patrick Fuchs on Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:24 am

Tom and David, as muh as I understand you have not been satisfied with the service of Indifocus and the finishing. But what about the functionality of the FF in comparison to other FFs? For example in an earlier review, it was said that the height adjustability could not be used in reality because the handle was flexing. Is this still true with the present version? For me, it is most important that the device works well in field. What about the lag of the gearbox? How does the whip transform to the FF? Any lag there? And can the speed crank also be attached to the whip? I would be glad if you could tell something about that. I really loved to wait for the Cinevate FF. But I guess, it won't deliver before I am leaving for shooting.
Patrick Fuchs

New postby Tom Waugh on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:56 am

Hey Pat, sorry for the delay.

It's the first ff I have used. It seemed good to me. Not too much lag. My whip and speed crank don't sit in the hole properly...They pop straight back out. Not good....so I can't comment on the whip's lag.

The speed crank doesn't attach to the whip.

The height adjustability is all good. No flex for me even at highest setup.

I would have, given a second chance, gone with the redrock FF I reckon. I couldn't wait for the cinevate one..

Tim hasn't replied to my msg...It's been a while since I sent...He is extremely slack on emails... The only time I've got a prompt reply is when I threatened to ask for my money back because he was taking way too long and I'd allowed enough lead time before the shoot.....

Also, didn't get hard stops with mine...lost in post? no put in box? who knows

Tim, if you're here.......please email me... I spent $650 USD...to get a partly broken follow focus with missing gears and hard stops....and now I get no service... :(

Sorry for discussing this on cinevate forums dennis...

Just Bloomin' well (haha bloomin' , get it?) get your follow focus on the shelves! Beta test me! haha.

Tom
Tom Waugh

New postby vincent scotti on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:05 am

Hi Dennis, how about putting to rest all the people including myself and give us a full update on you FF.
vincent scotti

New postby Dennis Wood on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:39 pm

The short version is that it's still not right. We just got an updated unit back last week, and all issues are resolved except the gear lash/smoothness issue is not. What I can tell you is the project management board in our office has one major focus (pun intended) for January, and that's to get this thing resolved once and for all. At this point we've got nothing to gain by rushing it to market...but once there it will be exceptional.
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby Kris Bird on Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:07 pm

Unfortunately too late for us to keep waiting, we've gone with a different FF for our feature shoot commencing March 3rd. I'm the cinevate will be great, but we're off the list as a potential customer! Shoot will be entirely Brevis, though.
Kris Bird

Indie FF

New postby Werner on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:48 pm

Sean,
I bought an indie focus in a pinch. In short, it sucks. We ended up just focusing by hand the whole show. Save your money on this one. I'm now waiting for the Cinevate version. If you need one NOW. Go with the Red Rock FF. It may be a bit more. I think its about 600.00. But the thing is silky smooth. Comparable to Arri FFs wich can be in the thousands.
Werner

Next

Return to Cinevate Follow Focus