click analytics

Lens Ring frequently Loosens

Lens Ring frequently Loosens

New postby Mike Waclo on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:38 am

I've been using the Durus for a little over a year now, and I've had a recurring issue with the gear ring I attached to my Canon EF 1.8 prime lens. The screws on the gear ring keep coming loose, causing the gear ring to fall off the lens' focus ring. Are there any tricks for keeping the gear ring attached? I've tried tightening the screws farther, but then the focus ring becomes too tight to turn.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Mike Waclo

Re: Lens Ring frequently Loosens

New postby Luke Grandmont on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:41 am

Hey Mike,

First off, sorry for the much delayed reply, I didn't realize some new posts were getting flagged by our spam filter.

If this is still giving you problems you might have some luck putting some 'lock tight' on the screw threads. I would recommend a blue lock tight (it stiffens the threads so they don't come loose, but doesn't permanently lock or bind them in). We often use Lock Tight 248 (blue) for this.

Hopefully this fixes the issue for ya, but please let us know how it goes (I won't take months to reply, lol).

Luke
Luke Grandmont

New postby Mike Waclo on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:13 pm

No worries... Just glad to get a response! Thanks so much for the tip on the Loctite 248... I'm going to try ordering a stick from Amazon. I was thinking about trying some of the zip-tie style gear threads that are out there, but I like knowing that my gear teeth will mesh properly if I keep using the Cinevate ring.

Again, thanks for the assistance!
Mike Waclo

New postby Luke Grandmont on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Hey Mike,

Absolutely, our follow focus and gear rings will work with all standard gear (the industry standard is 0.8 pitch which most, if not all, manufacturers seem to be adhering to.

And loctite is great to have for lots of applications too. We often use it on 1/4-20 threaded accessories so they don't wiggle loose and get lost :p

Luke
Luke Grandmont

Return to Cinevate Follow Focus