click analytics

Almost complete FX1 rig

Almost complete FX1 rig

New postby michaelgrob on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:41 pm

UPDATE: Go to the end of the thread for updated images :wink:

Hi all,

I finally assembled my rig. It is almost complete, the only thing that's missing is the Cinevate Follow Focus, I'll order one around Newyear. Almost anything is standard Cinevate:

I use a Sony HDR-FX1e with the Brevis, and I'm really amazed what can be done.

I have the pre-Proteus rails, carbon 60cm. The next thing that will be replaced is my old Manfrotto tripod. A few days ago, I finally ordered the Cinevate Matte Box, just for looks, I have to confess:

Please excuse the many shots, but I thing the rig just looks gorgeous, in the next image, it looks like something from Aliens vs Predator :wink: :

Anyway, back to more interesting things. I have a Sony wireless receiver, that I added to the rig using a Manfrotto/Bogen camera holder thingy:

I tried several ways to attach the Ikan HD8000 LCD Monitor (which is quite good, but you get what you pay for), and I was not quite satisfied. The best solution so far was the cheapest one: I used two Swivel Umbrella Adapters, the cheap plastic ones, and a small ball head. It gives a lot of flexibility and is surprisingly sturdy.

I could have attached it directly to the rails, but then, I had to disassemble the rig every time I wanted to remove the monitor arm. Therefore I used an amazing Manfrotto Nanoclamp to attach the monitor arm to the rails:

To Dennis and all the good guys at Cinevate, thank you very much, for creating all this amazing things! You give us part time / indie film makers endless possibilities not imagineable a few years ago!

Currently, we're in postpro of a short movie with the Brevis in concert with the L**** 35mm adapter (we were working with two cameras), and it worked very well. But I would never trade the Brevis for the other adapter.

Thanks a lot, Michael
Last edited by michaelgrob on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelgrob

Re: Almost complete FX1 rig

New postby johnVidFX on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:13 am

I just spotted this post, I have a Z1 & FX1, I am starting to get frustrated with the quality, it does not seem as sharp as it should be, Ive upped the sharpness, I was wondering how you feel about this issue especially with a Brevis on the Front...Also if you dont mind me asking what was total cost, without monitor, or radio mic.

Cheers John (waiting for scarlet)
johnVidFX

New postby michaelgrob on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:19 am

Hmm... don't have many problems with sharpness, actually. OK, the image is a little soft, and I have one very old Nikon lens whith wich I can not get a sharp picture. But otherwise, seems fine. I shot my contest entry with the rig above.

What did I pay?
- some $ 3000 for the Cam (don't remember)
- $ 2000 for Brevis and rails (pre-Proteus)
- $ 600 something for the matte box
- about $ 100 for the grip parts for the monitor arms
- $ 800 for the monitor
- and about $ 10 000 for the lighting equipment used for the picture
- fun: priceless.

Coming soon: Durus follow focus and Pegasus ;-)
michaelgrob

New postby johnVidFX on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:36 pm

Cheers... would love to pimp out my camera with this kit... but think I will just wait for the Scarlet...

Maybe if you had used strings in your video to open the box & crappy titles, you would have a few more votes right now, SO :cry: :? :shock:
johnVidFX

New postby michaelgrob on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:06 am

:D :D
But... I used crappy titles...
michaelgrob

New postby johnVidFX on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:38 pm

michaelgrob wrote::D :D
But... I used crappy titles...

Nahh they where clean & simple, but enough.
johnVidFX

New postby andymichael on Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:34 pm

Love the rig. Droooool.

I have a question about the camera baseplate unit thing. What is it?! I currently have an 18" redrock rails system. Can I mount the camera through the accessory block?
andymichael

New postby michaelgrob on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:03 pm

I have the old cinevate carbon fibre rails, pre-proteus.

I don't know nothing about the redrock rails, so I can't help you there.

I changed my setup to a "brevis upwards" setup to make the thing more compact. Now I have the Durus FF (just great) and a new tripod head, so I'll post new pics shortly.
michaelgrob

Shooting of Hip Hop Video Clip

New postby michaelgrob on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi all,

we used my updated rig for shooting a video clip for the Swiss hip hop crew Churchhill. As the shooting was a success, I wanted to share some pics with you :wink:

First of all, Raiser and Fit of Churchill:

Our DoP Enz was really satisfied with the Durus - expect another order soon:

Additionally to the Durus, I updated my rig with a new Manfrotto 545GB tripod (rock solid) and a VariZoom "Zero Gravity" tripod head. I use it upside-down with the Glidecam Camcrane jib and hope to use it (upside down as well) with Pegasus. It allows amazing pans and tilts, but starts swinging the camera when handling it. Therefore, I made the rig more compact by turning the flip module upside down. ...And meet Erika 8)

The video clip had a lot to do with milk (the song is in Swiss German, but would be called "mother cow" in English), we used about 30 litres of artificial milk (same as artificial blood, but obviously white), and therefore the rig got its fair share of milk (thank God for the Cinevate Mattebox):

All in all, it was a great shooting weekend. Once again, I have to thank Cinevate for creating such amazing products - without them, this shooting would not have been possible. So I asked Erika to thank you - this kiss is for Cinevate :mrgreen:

I hoped you enjoyed this little photo story. I will post more, as soon as Pegasus arrives (hopefully next week). And I will post the clip, when it's finished.
michaelgrob

New postby Jon Wolding on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:40 am

I haven't seen a lot of high key shoots with the Brevis... looking forward to yours.
Jon Wolding

New postby Dennis Wood on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:08 am

We've been in the Amazon, up Everest..and now drenched in artificial milk. Who would have thought?
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

Return to Show off your Rig