click analytics

Vote for your favourite Pegasus Contest Entry!

Post your artwork! If you're using our products to do amazing work, we want to see it.

Which is your favourite "Win a Pegasus" clip?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:57 am

1: Brad Crawford
22%
2. Bryan Fieldhouse
4%
3. Charles Lowthian
18%
4. Dave Collupy
5%
5. David Hong
28%
6. John Barrow
3%
7. Michael Grob
10%
8. Matze Boerner
1%
9. Pedro Amador
9%
10. Marcel D. Van Someren
1%

Total votes : 298

Vote for your favourite Pegasus Contest Entry!

New postby Dennis Wood on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:57 am

I'll admit I'm utterly impressed with what you guys came up with! Creative, funny, and cool are three words that come to mind right away. Matze, not sure how you did that, but that's a lot of history in your entry! In reviewing the clips, rest assured that although only one will win "Pegasus", all nine entrants will be getting a swag package from us. If you uploaded a clip and it's not there, please upload it again and post a message in this thread. For now, vote away folks.

Here's the clip collection:

Pegasus Contest Entries!

If you're visiting from Scarletuser you can vote here, and if you're inbound from DVXuser, then here.
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

Re: Vote for your favourite Pegasus Contest Entry!

New postby johnVidFX on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:19 am

Have the details on the product been released yet?

I won't say who I voted for, but as I have a very small circle of friends who would be willing to vote, I might have to call in some support to stand a chance, while this is great marketing for you guys... this system could be abused.
johnVidFX

New postby Jon Wolding on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:22 am

Wow... three entries were pretty close to guessing what it is.

Brad's infommercial style and the blue background at the end was a nice touch.
Bryan's reminds me of 300 for some reason... very slick. Great sound work.
Charles' 2d animation stands out from the pack.
Dave gets the Fellini (or Matthew Barney?) award.
David's classy piece features some Terry Gilliam-inspired animation... and a wicked horse mount!
Watching John's clip reminded me of the Dolby or THX intros you see at a movie theater... did you make a Dolby 5.1 version? ;P
I like the buildup of anticipation in Michael's video.
Matze gets a nod for the obscure (obnoxious?) soundtrack by The Hollies.
Pedro's reminded me of the "Windows Mojave" commercials... heh
Jon Wolding

New postby Patrick Moreau on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:33 am

Any way of hiding the voting results until the contest ends. Seems to me it would bias all the upcoming voters quite a bit.

P.
Patrick Moreau

New postby Dennis Wood on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:57 am

Patrick, unfortunately...no. However, we'll have polls over at dvxuser as well as scarletuser...so we'll have lots of results.
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby gracekim23 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:57 pm

When exactly is the deadline date? It says that the polls are running until the 13th, but on the viewing page it says that the winner will be announced on the 11th...
gracekim23

New postby John Edgar on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:48 pm

I dunno if I'm allowed to post this, so pull it if I'm not....

Dear Charles Lowthian,

I laughed so hard, I cried... thank you.

John.
John Edgar

New postby M Boerner on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Dennis Wood wrote: Matze, not sure how you did that, but that's a lot of history in your entry!

Dennis, I've found those clips on my hard drive. Downloaded in 2006! Time has passed so quickly.

yeah I know - I should clean my disc. ähm maybe next week... :)
M Boerner

New postby Dennis Wood on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:29 pm

Marcel, many apologies. I saw that upload at 1 pm and encoded/uploaded it. We also moved the media files to another server as cinevate has been rather hammered with requests. Votes can be changed by the original voter so folks, you can change your mind until closing on Monday.

Also, I'm working on an email voting system for folks who are not members of this site...and that won't start until later tonight. I'm kind of considering just removing the poll (and logging the results of course) and using email so as Patrick mentioned, the results don't skew the results. It's also fair to note that if you're logged into the forum, you don't see the poll results until after you vote!
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby davidhong on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:36 pm

Hey Dennis

2 Things:

1. All of the previous votes got erased. Was this intentional or a glitch in the server?
2. The new 10th entry has no audio.

Best,

David
davidhong

New postby michaelgrob on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:38 pm

Brad, "... units fly only as far as you can trow it"... amazing... :lol:
First I thought of using "Also sprach Zarathustra" as well, but I didnt risk it for copyright reasons...

Marcel - good to see your movie uploaded.

All very cool entries - good luck to you all, gentlemen. I'd like to see all the spots on a dvd, when my Pegasus arrives :wink:
Last edited by michaelgrob on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelgrob

New postby mvansomeren on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:41 pm

Dennis Wood wrote:Marcel, many apologies. I saw that upload at 1 pm and encoded/uploaded it. We also moved the media files to another server as cinevate has been rather hammered with requests. Votes can be changed by the original voter so folks, you can change your mind until closing on Monday.

Also, I'm working on an email voting system for folks who are not members of this site...and that won't start until later tonight. I'm kind of considering just removing the poll (and logging the results of course) and using email so as Patrick mentioned, the results don't skew the results. It's also fair to note that if you're logged into the forum, you don't see the poll results until after you vote!

Dennis, first thank you. I checked out the encoding, but there's a problem with the sound. It starts to play the sound for about a second and then it stops. the video continues. Can you fix that, please? What else could go wrong? lol
mvansomeren

New postby davidhong on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:43 pm

Hey Dennis

Instead of removing the results, I think it is a good idea to mask it so that new voters can't see the results. If this is not feasible then maybe at least allow the contestants to be able to see the tally (along with yourself).
Lastly, I see that the votes have been reset. I understand that there was a mixup with the 10th contestant but isn't it a bit unfair for those of us who had votes earlier to lose those voters? I highly doubt that they will take the time to revote. A more fair approach would have been to leave the votes as is and add the 10th contestant while giving previous and all voters the option to change their original vote. Is there any way to restore the original tally before it got wiped? Thanks.
davidhong

New postby David Collupy on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Bravo, guys! Some great stuff there! I thoroughly enjoyed seeing what everyone did. :D

I'll write more later (right now I'm feeling under the weather) . . .
David Collupy

???

New postby EmbassyPictures on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:21 pm

What's up with reseting the votes?? What's the point of having deadlines if they aren't going to be enforced? Now all the people who already voted and the peolpe that were ahead have to start all over again. Kinda B.S.
EmbassyPictures

New postby johnVidFX on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:53 pm

I only wish more people had joined in the debate about what the product was, and joined up for that reason & to enter, rather than just to cast a vote, I just thought it was people keeping there idea on what the product was a secret untill they released there video.
johnVidFX

Re: ???

New postby mvansomeren on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:08 pm

EmbassyPictures wrote:What's up with reseting the votes?? What's the point of having deadlines if they aren't going to be enforced? Now all the people who already voted and the peolpe that were ahead have to start all over again. Kinda B.S.

If you're referring to the deadline of video entries, the 10th entry was well within the deadline, it just didn't get posted like it should have. It finally did although there's still a problem with the encoding of that entry (no audio) that will hopefully be fixed by Dennis soon.

I'm not sure Dennis intended to wipe the slate clean on votes. He said he set it so people can change their minds if they wanted to.
mvansomeren

New postby Dennis Wood on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:43 am

Jason was kind enough to let us post polls over at DVXuser.com as well as Scarletuser.com. If you're visiting from Scarletuser you can vote here, and if you're inbound from DVXuser, then here.

I've also cleaned up some code to take some load off the site...all seems to be working perfectly now. We'll leave the polls exactly as they stand...but next time we'll definitely do a blind vote. It's our first time running something like this, so lesson learned. A few lasting benefits of the contest (that will remain after) include a tidy cgi file upload method (no more ftp), and getting f4v files streaming from the site. Adobe has implemented H264 streaming files in the flash format and they are remarkably efficient given their file sizes. At the end of the process, we should be able to stream HD video from anywhere on the site, including the forums.

Marcel, I've redone the f4v encode on your entry and all looks good. Once again, I apologize for first missing your upload, then posting the Charlie Chaplin version of your clip!
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

The Pegasus...

New postby Charles Lowthian on Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:32 am

"camera + adapter = film" ... NO! LIGHT DOES!!!
www.charleslowthian.com
Charles Lowthian

New postby mvansomeren on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:01 am

Dennis Wood wrote:Marcel, I've redone the f4v encode on your entry and all looks good. Once again, I apologize for first missing your upload, then posting the Charlie Chaplin version of your clip!

Thanks Dennis.
mvansomeren

Next

Return to Cinevate Customer Footage