click analytics

First short film, shot with Brevis Rev2

Post your artwork! If you're using our products to do amazing work, we want to see it.

First short film, shot with Brevis Rev2

New postby Jason Ramsey on Tue May 27, 2008 10:38 pm

This is my first and only film I have shot so far. It was shot with the HVX200 and Brevis Rev2 using a 50mm f1.4 Nikon lens.

Crew was myself and my two actors, so we chose a minimalistic story that we could approach in a minimalistic way technically and hopefully just tell a short story in an honest way.

Budget was approximately $25 dollars for some Pajamas :)

Actors are Tori Lee and Ronnie Jackson.

Sound Design was by Herman Witkam, and an original song was by my actress Tori Lee.

All else by me.

I have a few things I plan to do with it still. Mainly the opening scene, and need to clean up a few other things before calling it done. Planning a shoot for the opening scene in about a week or two.

Anyways, here it is...

49 megs.
www.ramjetfilms.com/LoveFest/RememberWhen.mov

89 megs.
www.ramjetfilms.com/LoveFest/RememberWhen720.mov

Thanks for any and all comments. Figured it was about time I got it up here on the Cinevate website :)

Later,
Jason
Last edited by Jason Ramsey on Wed May 28, 2008 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Ramsey

New postby steve witt on Tue May 27, 2008 11:00 pm

Well done, especially for using only one lens for the whole thing. The acting was Superb to say the least.
-Canon HV20
-Brevis MP.1 with Flip
-Cinevate 2 Stage Matte Box
-Nikon 50mm f1.4
-Nikon 85mm f2.0
-Nikon 105mm f1.8
steve witt

New postby Evan C. King on Wed May 28, 2008 9:06 am

I wish you had a vimeo link so I could watch it here at work. I'll have to wait till I get home. :(
Evan C. King

New postby Olivier Mastey on Wed May 28, 2008 1:55 pm

Great job! I really enjoyed it.

Olivier
Olivier Mastey

New postby Hrafn Jónsson on Wed May 28, 2008 4:32 pm

pretty amazing.

The acting was incredible and it was an all around very solid work. Can't really believe it's the first thing you make..
Sony PMW-EX1
Brevis Revision 2
CF1L, CF2, CF2Le, CF3L,
Flip Module
Rails and adjustable rail mount

Nikon:
Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6
Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8
Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AIS
Nikon 85mm f/1.4 AIS
80-200mm f/4.5
400mm f/5.6
Hrafn Jónsson

New postby Daniel Persson on Wed May 28, 2008 5:33 pm

Thank you Jason for inspiring me. That was an amazing short film with a natural, real, honest feeling. (hard to find the words in english)

Very nice photo and editing. Like the focus pull in the kitchen. Very good acting to.

Thank you!

/Daniel
Daniel Persson

New postby Jason Jenkins on Thu May 29, 2008 10:00 pm

Wonderful! Very well done.
Jason Jenkins

New postby Jarrod Renaud on Fri May 30, 2008 9:50 am

art.
Jarrod Renaud

New postby TraceyJohnLee on Fri May 30, 2008 10:30 am

Wow! Very nice.

What was your audio set up? It's clean!
TraceyJohnLee

New postby Lonnie Juli on Fri May 30, 2008 12:09 pm

Jason,

Fantastically well done!

The sequence on the porch swing is some of the most moving footage I have seen in a long time.

Excellent direction, photography, acting, audio, editing...

Your technique was perfectly transparent. No distractions as you simply broke my heart.

The extremely shallow focus as Andrew slipped away was spectacular.

Bravo.

Lonnie
Lonnie Juli

New postby Dennis Wood on Fri May 30, 2008 2:38 pm

I'm guessing a lot of folks didn't see this 2nd place dvxfest entry :-) Evidently a lot of other folks liked it too.

So what 's coming next after this very successful short film? Festival entries?
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

Love Fest

New postby Adam Zell on Sat May 31, 2008 9:06 pm

No, some of us saw this Dennis, at least I did. This was for Lovefest 2008. Excellent job Jason!!! You cinematography speaks for itself in this film. And also Jason got a nice prize from Dennis and Cinevate I do believe.

We look forward to more from you Jason!
http://www.zellcreativegroup.com
Advertising with Imagination
Adam Zell

New postby Jason Ramsey on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:05 pm

Hey, guys. Sorry for the absence. Thanks for all the great comments.

About the audio setup:
A single Audio Technica AT4073a on a bent up metal broom stick :) I was the camera op and the boom op... and that's where a dreaded reflection of the boom comes in... I think I've finally got that fixed though here on my hard drive.

Festivals.... Yes. I've been thinking about that seriously. I've never entered a festival other than LoveFest, so I'm not sure about the whole process, but the first thing is to figure out what to do with the opening scene. I was planning on re-shooting it entirely (the opening scene) to try and bring it on par with the porch swing scene, but my actress is getting married in like a month, so I don't know if we'll have time. I'm strongly considering just lobbing it off and starting with the opening credits montage... There was one shot in there that was stock lens and that was the Pill bottles. I fixed the shakiness of that in post the other day as well. The reason it was shot without the adapter was b/c I had only a nikon 50mm f1.4 and couldn't get as close as I wanted, so I cheated the depth of field using the ole' distance and open iris tricks and got close to what I wanted.

I did indeed win the Ballare Dolly from Dennis, and I"m very excited about that. I went out of the country for two months right as they were announcing the winners, so I'm only just now about to receive it. The tracking says it went out for delivery at 3:30 this morning, but I'm still waiting 13.5 hours later for it to show up at my door :)

Anyways, thanks again for the comments. This was bare Brevis Rev2 (non-flip) and all outside shots were natural light. I now have a flip and a rails setup from Cinevate as well, and soon a dolly :) Hopefully I can put all of them to good use with the next piece I attempt... Just have to think of an idea... always the hardest part :)

Later,
Jason
Jason Ramsey

Return to Cinevate Customer Footage