click analytics

Quicktime H.264 Settings for Good Streaming?

Post questions comments about hardware or software used to craft your art!

Quicktime H.264 Settings for Good Streaming?

New postby Cris Mertens on Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:45 pm

If you want to encode primarily in Quicktime Pro... does anyone know what a good export setting is for a solid 640x360 H.264 encoded video, primarily meant for distribution online that streams quickly.

I seem to be able to make fantastic looking videos that look great online, at that resolution - but the file size are always 200mb and up and never stream quickly at all, while I will constantly see other people post videos that look just as good as mine and stream immediately?

Is this all related to what you set kbits/sec (for streaming) ratio to? Whats a good number for that field?
Cris Mertens

New postby Jason Fox on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:22 pm

Messing with kbit/sec setting will net the greatest results regarding file size. Just keep lowering it until you get to a level of quality that's too low for your taste. Also, changing your audio to mono and 32khz will help a bit -- and most people won't notice a thing.

And if you do hit upon a magic setting, let me know!
Jason Fox

New postby Jason Ramsey on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:08 pm

I know this thread is old, but here is a good starting point that might help you (going off the top of my head).

Try 640x360 frame size (16:9)
single pass
500kbit
Apple Lossless for audio w/ 24khz (I think) and mono.

You should be able to get something quite reasonable in size out of that.

How long is the content on average that you are posting? I have found that 500 bit rate is good for 640x360. But, again... that all depends on how long the content is.

Later,
Jason
Jason Ramsey

Return to Editing Hardware/Software