click analytics

Seeing grain from oscillating cinefuse when moving camera...

This forum will be used to share information with Brevis35 users related to setup, tips and tricks etc.

Seeing grain from oscillating cinefuse when moving camera...

New postby Joachim Wiese on Thu May 29, 2008 10:39 pm

Hello,

I've got the most recent Brevis, MP.1 with the flip module, and have been trying to set up the rig. Setting it up, aligning etc was pretty straight forward, but in seeing my footage, there's a still grain to the image from the cinefuse. I have the switch on so the element is oscillating, but I still see it when I move the camera, like a screen over my footage.

Do I need to adjust the oscillation rate of the system, or have I something out of alignment? Please help when you get the chance

Joachim
DVX-100B
Brevis35 MP.1
Joachim Wiese

New postby Dennis Wood on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:17 pm

Yes, increase oscillation as much as you can for your chosen shutter speed (page 11 of the manual). Stopping down past f5.6 may cause this, as well as shooting in under-exposed conditions. Hope that helps :-)
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby Rob Odea on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:05 am

I have the same problems when I shoot outdoors usually (bright conditions), I just assumed this was because I needed an ND filter ?
If I overexpose the image the grain goes away but obviously I dont want to overexpose all the time, and I usually stick to 1/50 for shutter speed (only go higher 1/120 for some shots).
Rob Odea

New postby Dennis Wood on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:13 pm

Yes, shutter at 1/48s if you're shooting 24p, or 1/50 to 1/60 otherwise. Bright conditions and high contrast test any adapter's grain masking ablities and this is where you need to make sure the 35mm lens is not stopped down too much. By too much I mean f4 to f5.6
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby Rob Odea on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Much appreciated, I know there are millions of posts roughly asking the same questions, I was trying to search through them too.
I know I'll need an ND filter asap anyway but its hard with the daylight in the UK at the moment because it keeps changing suddenly. :roll:

However now that I understand about the oscilation speed and f stops on both camera and lens, I should be able to get some cleaner results now !
:)
Rob Odea

Re: Seeing grain from oscillating cinefuse when moving camera...

New postby Joachim Wiese on Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:21 pm

Dennis, thanks for the response. It did help a lot. Another quick question, if we have suggestions to improve the product, could you let me know where I should post them? Here they are just in case...
1. Engrave just above the turn hole on the MP1 direction and velocity, right fast, left slow, or whatever it is.
2. Also mention how far out and in the screw can go in manual or on side (if not too much writing). Ignorantly, I got disoriented turning and was worried I'd either strip or unscrew the adjustment screw, heard a click and felt I should stop and go back the other way. The video on this is helpful though, albeit for the older Brevis.

Thanks again.
Joachim Wiese

Return to Cinevate Customer Forum