click analytics

Super Modified Brevis

Discussion of Beta Testing.

New postby Andy Gordon on Thu May 18, 2006 8:17 am

Would the X Y adjustable mount be something that could plug into the Beta unit?
Andy Gordon

New postby Rafael Lopes on Thu May 18, 2006 8:37 am

My achromat just arrived in the mail. As soon as I receive my Brevis I'll be posting some HD footage.
Rafael Lopes
www.p3mundo.com
Rafael Lopes

New postby Dennis Wood on Thu May 18, 2006 8:49 am

No, the whole rear ring will be different. I get the feeling though that a lot of the bigger cams don't have a perfectly lens centered image..in which case the XY adjustment will be very nice to have. If the cam image is lens-centered, then adjusting XY will only result in the cam not being aligned to the max size image cone from the 35mm lens...which is not a good thing.

Given the current GG size, an adapter should be able to tolerate about 1 to 2mm of gg/cam XY misalignment, and still mainain 24x36 frame size. It's likely that the next run of diffussers will be 1-2 mm larger in the x axis to give a bit more leeway. That way the GG plate XY orientation is not that important. Z axis accuracy is far more critical to maintain sharp focus across the image plane. Z axis alignment and incorrectly sized achromats are likely to blame for 95% of edge to edge softness issues.
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby Andy Gordon on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:10 am

I've finished modifying my Brevis, it's not really a Brevis now since I changed the diffuser but here's a quick demo anyway:

http://savefile.com/files/3629492
Andy Gordon

New postby Rafael Lopes on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:51 am

Andy Gordon wrote:I've finished modifying my Brevis, it's not really a Brevis now since I changed the diffuser but here's a quick demo anyway:

http://savefile.com/files/3629492

Tha looks amazing! Post some more footage, please! What did you do to your brevis? This rocks!
Rafael Lopes
www.p3mundo.com
Rafael Lopes

New postby Andy Gordon on Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:18 am

I replaced the diffuser with a 40 micron ground glass and mounted two pcx lenses back to back next to the gg. It's not quite full diffusion but it's a happy compromise on the sharpness. Not sure how it would fare in HD, but not seeing grain on SD.
Andy Gordon

New postby Dennis Wood on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:30 am

If you like that, then I think you'll be happy with what's in the pipe...

Andy, no surprise, but I loved that edit. What's your sense on the sharpness/light loss tradeoff? Can you post some full size 5000kb footage of your clip? It looks softer, but it's hard to tell.
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

New postby Andy Gordon on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:05 am

Light loss is around 1.2 stops for "the system" :)

As far as sharpness/softness goes I think it looks great, plenty sharp for me in the in focus stuff. Haven't compared sharpness to straight cam or the Brevis... but I don't really care it looks good to me haha :D
Andy Gordon

New postby Dennis Wood on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:12 am

You know, that's the most important thing! The production side is obviously different as all of the "other" cams come into play. The important thing is that you're happy with your own "look".
Dennis Wood
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Beta Testers